PLEASE NOTE: This item has a planned release for Early February and is only available for PRE-ORDER at this time.
Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
1. Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
2. Release dates are subject to change. All dates are estimates and subject to manufacturer revisions beyond our control.
3. Order modifications. Orders can be canceled and items removed upon request. We are unable to add additional items to pending orders.
4. Payment details. Credit cards are pre-authorized but not captured until we ship the order. Check or PayPal payments are required at time of order.
Dragon’s Domain Records presents the soundtrack release of FOR THE TERM OF HIS NATURAL LIFE/THE WILD DUCK, featuring music composed and conducted by Simon Walker for two projects for Australian television and film.
FOR THE TERM OF HIS NATURAL LIFE aired on Australian television in 1983 as a two part series directed by Rob Stewart, starring Colin Friels, Anthony Perkins, Patrick Macnee, Diane Cilento and Samantha Eggar. FOR THE TERM OF HIS NATURAL LIFE was based on the novel by Marcus Clarke, first serialized in Australia in the late 1800s and the subject of an early feature film in 1927. The mini series tells the story of a young English gentleman (Friels) wrongfully convicted of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment at a Tasmanian penal settlement. Adopting the name “Rufus Dawes” to protect his family, he tries to survive the rigors of hard labor but gradually becomes a hardened convict. His manner is softened when he falls in love with the young daughter of an officer at the colony. When Dawes learns that his English title and inheritance have been stolen from him during his incarceration, he escapes and seeks revenge on those who wronged him.
Simon Walker was hired to score FOR THE TERM OF HIS NATURAL LIFE because the filmmakers had been impressed by the music he’d written on previous films. The result is a large scale orchestral score largely centered on Walker’s main theme, a heraldic melody favoring brass, strings, and rolling percussion and also including a rapturous love theme for Dawes and Sylvia, along with a spritely woodwind and violin motif associated with the character of Reverend Meekin (Perkins).
THE WILD DUCK was Simon Walker’s first feature film score, based on Norwegian playwright Henrik Ibsen’s tragicomedy. Directed by French-born Australian filmmaker Henri Safran and adapted and anglicized by the director along with Tutte Lemkow and John Lind with “additional material” by Peter Smalley, the film starred Jeremy Irons, Liv Ullmann, Lucinda Jones, Arthur Dignam, and Michael Pate. Set in a small industrial Australian town THE WILD DUCK concerns a couple, Harold and Gina (Irons and Ullmann), who are forced to answer for the legitimacy of their adolescent daughter Henrietta (Jones) when her true father, Gregory (Dignam), comes to town. Figuring into the drama is a wild duck that has been wounded by Gregory's father (Pate) and rescued by Henrietta; its symbolism looms over the stifling household as personalities reach a heartrending climax.
It was Walker’s score to FOR THE TERM OF HIS NATURAL LIFE that led to being hired for THE WILD DUCK. While his instincts were to score THE WILD DUCK with a very gentle small scale orchestral score, the producer and the director had other ideas and preferred a full blown symphonic score with lots of strings. His score for THE WILD DUCK is written in a warm, Romantic style like FOR THE TERM OF HIS NATURAL LIFE and includes a main theme that is thoroughly engaging, coloring the drama and reflecting the conflicts of the story.
Both FOR THE TERM OF HIS NATURAL LIFE and THE WILD DUCK were released previously in the early days of the compact disc format and have been difficult to find over the years. Dragon’s Domain Records is pleased to bring these wonderful scores back into the marketplace now newly remastered by Digital Outland for new listeners to discover Simon Walker’s incredible talent and including liner notes by author Randall Larson.
Limited edition release of 500 units.
FOR THE TERM OF HIS NATURAL LIFE
1. Main Title / Coming Home (3:07)
2. Lord Bellasis’ Watch (1:27)
3. Convicted (1:55)
4. The Mutiny (2:24)
5. The Penal Colony (4:43)
6. Dawes and Sylvia / The Flogging (1:43)
7. Hallucination (2:40)
8. Escape From The Rock (4:22)
9. Caught Again (2:11)
10. The Chains Removed (2:54)
11. Dawes Considers Escape (0:42)
12. “Why Didn’t You Kill Him?” (2:02)
13. The Rescue (1:29)
14. Fight In The Coal Mine (1:46)
15. Impersonations (1:25)
16. The Escape / Arrival At Sydney Harbour (3:13)
17. The Goldfields / A New Friendship (2:22)
18. Frere’s Death (1:05)
19. The Conspiracy Revealed (1:40)
20. Sylvia and Dawes Reunited (End Titles) (3:04)
THE WILD DUCK
21. Main Title Part 1 (1:43)
22. Main Title Part 2 (3:43)
23. Train Station Reunion / Boys Night Out (1:12)
24. Coffee Time (1:17)
25. Most Important Thing in Life is Truth (4:43)
26. Good Night (1:39)
27. Chickens (2:15)
28. I Think He Wants Something Else (1:12)
29. Night Time (0:37)
30. She Isn’t Mine? (1:56)
31. Despair (1:04)
32. Suicide Attempt (0:49)
33. Finale (2:51)
Total Time: 69:45