PLEASE NOTE: This item has a planned release for Mid January and is only available for PRE-ORDER at this time.
Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
1. Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
2. Release dates are subject to change. All dates are estimates and subject to manufacturer revisions beyond our control.
3. Order modifications. Orders can be canceled and items removed upon request. We are unable to add additional items to pending orders.
4. Payment details. Credit cards are pre-authorized but not captured until we ship the order. Check or PayPal payments are required at time of order.
Quartet Records, Universal Music Group and Geffen Records present the long-requested remastered reissue of this timeless, evergreen romantic score by Nino Rota (War and Peace, Amarcord, Il Casanova) for Franco Zeffirelli’s brilliant adaptation of William Shakespeare’s popular classic Romeo & Juliet.
Directed by Zeffirelli in 1968 for Paramount Pictures, it stars Leonard Whiting and Olivia Hussey as the young lovers, as well as John McEnery, Robert Stephens and Michael York. The film was a risky production at a time where the world was changing, with Vietnam and much social unrest consuming the news, but the film was a huge worldwide success, especially in the United States, where teenagers had experienced three political assassinations in the preceding five years and were becoming more and more aware of the war in Vietnam. Young audiences, looking for affirmations of love among themselves rather than from adults, eagerly embraced this tale of thwarted young love.
Nino Rota’s score is a marvel of both simplicity and sophistication. It suggests music of the Renaissance era without direct quotes and through its own modern sensibilities, including what is possibly one of the most famous love themes in film music history—perhaps the composer’s most popular piece, along with the love theme from The Godfather.
Because the original sessions tapes are long lost, we have decided to reissue the largely out-of-print original Capitol album which covers virtually the entire score (only about 12 minutes of music have been lost—mostly brief repetitions of the love theme and Romeo’s theme here and there). Produced in beautiful stereo, the audio has been warmly restored and mastered by Chris Malone from the first-generation album masters courtesy of UMG—now sounding better than ever.
The package comes with detailed liner notes by Frank K. DeWald, discussing the film, the score and the Rota/Zeffirelli/Shakespeare collaboration.
1. Prologue and Fanfare for the Prince (1:49)
2. Romeo (4:05)
3. Juliet (1:34)
4. The Feast at the House of Capulet (2:07)
5. The First Meeting (2:51)
6. What Is a Youth (Love Theme From “Romeo & Juliet”) (2:26)
7. What Light Through Yonder Window Breaks? (2:56)
8. Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow (2:40)
9. But This I Pray... Consent to Marry Us Today (3:06)
10. Romeo and Juliet Are Wed (1:44)
11. The Death of Mercutio and Tybalt (1:05)
12. Night’s Candles Are Burnt Out (4:29)
13. Adieu (1:52)
14. The Likeness of Death (3:42)
15. The Ride From Mantua (2:56)
16. Death... Hath Sucked the Honey of Thy Breath (1:49)
17. Love Theme From “Romeo & Juliet” (3:05)
18. O Happy Dagger! (2:06)
19. Epilogue (2:08)
Total Disc Time: 48:37