PLEASE NOTE: This item has a planned release for Early February and is only available for PRE-ORDER at this time.
Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
1. Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
2. Release dates are subject to change. All dates are estimates and subject to manufacturer revisions beyond our control.
3. Order modifications. Orders can be canceled and items removed upon request. We are unable to add additional items to pending orders.
4. Payment details. Credit cards are pre-authorized but not captured until we ship the order. Check or PayPal payments are required at time of order.
Expanded release of long out-of-print John Williams classic! Mel Gibson, Sissy Spacek, Scott Glenn star, Vilmos Zsigmond photographs, John Williams composes Oscar-nominated Americana score for Mark Rydell’s dramatic farming crisis film from Universal. Williams reunites with director Rydell, who successfully teamed on earlier pictures The Reivers, The Cowboys and Cinderella Liberty, each offering different musical takes on the subject of Americana. Williams provides beautifully languid yet sadly-toned main theme, typically featuring solo trumpet, to anchor tale of economic collapse of family farming industry in Tennessee during the early 1980’s that saw many farmers forced to seek employment in steel factories, pitting them in opposition to striking mill workers. Williams keeps overall grim realism in focus but finds ample opportunity to fashion bright, energetic ideas encapsulating spirit of determination that Rydell spotlights through struggles to survive of Tom and Mae Garvey’s farming family, played by Gibson and Spacek. Williams highlights several key sequences depicting the challenges portrayed but towering above all is surging, powerful “The Ancestral Home” sequence underlining and in many ways carrying climactic scene of desperate families uniting to fashion large dam built from sandbags to stem tide of rapidly rising flood waters of the titular river. Here, Williams begins with major-key motif that gradually builds thematically into massive orchestral crescendo, much in mannerism of his legendary “Leaving Home” music from 1978’s Superman The Movie. Hearing the epic peroration of this four-and-a-half minute piece, landing at its peak with Williams’ signature leading tone cadence, is a scoring highlight! MCA Records released a strong 37-minute album in 1984 of musical highlights featuring meld of original soundtrack recordings and newly recorded adaptations by Williams of his film cues. Special Intrada presentation includes re-mastered release of that classic album, plus world premiere release of full original soundtrack recording, boasting some 20 minutes of previously unreleased material. Entire project, courtesy Universal Pictures and Geffen Records/UMG Recordings, was produced by Mike Matessino from pristine masters. Matessino also contributes literate notes for dramatic booklet designed by Kay Marshall. Score recorded in August and September 1984 by Dan Wallin. John Williams composes, conducts. Intrada Special Collection CD available while quantities and interest remain! -INTRADA
ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK ALBUM
01. The River (4:29)
02. Growing Up (2:52)
03. The Pony Ride (3:16)
04. Love Theme From The River (4:55)
05. The Ancestral Home (4:31)
06. Rain Clouds Gather (3:06)
07. From Farm To Factory (2:46)
08. Back From Town (3:41)
09. Tractor Scene (2:19)
10. A Family Meeting (2:38)
11. Young Friends Farewell (2:42)
Total Time: 37:15
12. Main Title (Rain Clouds Gather) (3:08)
13. Leaving Home* (2:56)
14. The Family* (1:43)
15. The Kids Separate* (1:40)
16. The Garveys (1:24)
17. On The Dock (1:25)
18. Under The Tractor (2:21)
19. Dialing The Hospital* (1:32)
20. Telephone Call* (2:33)
21. The Hotel* (2:06)
22. Releasing The Doe* (1:05)
23. Back From Town (Film Version) (3:45)
24. The Ancestral Home (4:33)
25. End Credits (The River) (4:31)
26. The Family (Alternate)* (1:39)
27. The Ancestral Home (Alternate)* 2:32)
28. Leaving Home (Film Version)* (2:55)
Total Time: 42:07
Total Disc Time: 79:32