This future pre-order title can only be added to your wish list at this time. The title will go on sale March 31, 2023 at 4:00 PM US Eastern Time. This item has a planned release for Late March
Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
1. Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
2. Release dates are subject to change. All dates are estimates and subject to manufacturer revisions beyond our control.
3. Order modifications. Orders can be canceled and items removed upon request. We are unable to add additional items to pending orders.
4. Payment details. Credit cards are pre-authorized but not captured until we ship the order. Check or PayPal payments are required at time of order.
Intrada proudly presents eerie, terrifying original 1983 soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith from Richard Franklin follow-up to famed Alfred Hitchcock thriller about Norman Bates and those twelve vacancies at his Bates Motel. Anthony Perkins, Vera Miles reprise their iconic roles with newcomers Meg Tilly, Dennis Franz adding to suspense, chills.
Goldsmith takes sensational approach to horror tale by anchoring entire score not with scary theme but with incredibly gentle, minor key idea that generates significant amount of sympathy for Norman, his attempts to go straight after years in prison. That said, horrific events follow and composer launches riveting action material in kind.
Orchestration is unique: requisite strings in tribute to classic Bernard Herrmann original play key role but composer adds array of colors courtesy piano, large woodwind section, synthesizer. Goldsmith tacets all brass save French horns, allowing the expressive instruments to rip, tear and bray through numerous frightening passages. An unusually intense additional color comes from wild "knife slashes" written into score. With all these sizeable shadings of sound, resulting music ranges from gently beautiful, hauntingly sad to wildly aggressive, strikingly intense.
Complete score presented in dynamic stereo courtesy multi-track session masters vaulted in pristine condition at Universal. For original 1982 album, Goldsmith did considerable editing within cues, dropped major sequences entirely to keep duration at a half hour. In some cases he also attached names of certain cues to others instead. Scoring session paperwork and cue sheets allowed us to properly identify everything for the first time. Fun to discover Goldsmith wrote two separate sequences titled "Mothers Room", "Mother's Room #2" plus two additional alternate versions featuring different bells, chimes, electronic effects within. All four appear on our CD. Also fun to discover haunting "End Title" was originally scored with striking pizzicato strings that plucked rhythmic accompaniment to introduction of gentle theme. This unused alternate also appears on our CD in "extras" section.
Goldsmith also recorded two Beethoven piano excerpts at his sessions to be heard as Bates plays piano onscreen. Both also appear as extras, as does alternate version of "Peep Hole #2". Highlights of new music are many but deserving spotlight are intense "Toomy's Death", stark two-part voicings of French horns during "Expected Guest".
Flipper cover allows listeners to select new artwork or original MCA album cover. Jerry Goldsmith conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remain! - INTRADA
01. The Murder (Bernard Herrmann) (0:59)
02. Psycho II – Main Title (1:39)
03. The House (1:51)
04. Mother’s Hand (1:54)
05. Old Weapons (0:41)
06. Cheese Sandwich (0:31)
07. Mother’s Room (2:05)
08. Out To Lunch (2:00)
09. No Note (1:05)
10. The Peep Hole (1:47)
11. Toomy’s Death (1:11)
12. Peep Hole #2 (Revised) (0:55)
13. Mother’s Room #2 (4:28)
14. Basement Killing (1:18)
15. New Furniture (0:44)
16. It’s Starting Again (0:40)
17. A Night Cap (1:08)
18. Blood Bath (4:01)
19. Don’t Take Me (5:39)
20. She’s Not Dead (1:16)
21. Hello Mother (2:52)
22. The Cellar (4:48)
23. It’s Not Your Mother (5:11)
24. Expected Guest (2:44)
25. Psycho II – End Title (Revised) (4:18)
26. Sonata #14 [Moonlight], Op. 27, No. 2 – 1st Mvt (Beethoven) (1:51)
27. Sonata #8 [Pathetique] Op. 13 – 2nd Mvt (Beethoven) (1:04)
28. Peep Hole #2 (Original) (0:56)
29. Mother’s Room #2 (Alternate No. 1) (4:28)
30. Mother’s Room #2 (Alternate No. 2) (4:28)
31. Psycho II – End Title (Original Version) (4:18)
The Extras Time: 17:18
Total Disc Time: 1:14:30