For generations, Our Gang comedies have been enjoyed by millions of fans the world over. Now, celebrate the 100th anniversary of this iconic and beloved film series in The Little Rascals - The Complete Collection (Centennial Edition).
In 1922, producer Hal Roach introduced the kiddie troupe known as “Our Gang” to theater audiences and kicked off one of the most popular and prolific franchises in the field of short subjects, with 220 one- and two-reel comedies released over a twenty-two year period.
By the late 1920s, the series (later re-titled "The Little Rascals" for TV syndication) made the transition from silents to “talkies” and would soon embark on its most revered and best remembered period–the 80 sound shorts made at Hal Roach Studios between 1929 and 1938–all of which are included in this one-of-a-kind collection.
A must-have for any true Our Gang fan, this 6-disc set also includes over 4 hours of bonus material and features the talents of George “Spanky” McFarland, Carl “Alfalfa” Switzer, Allen “Farina” Hoskins, Darla Hood, Matthew “Stymie” Beard, Jackie Cooper, Bobby “Wheezer” Hutchins, Billie “Buckwheat” Thomas, Eugene “Porky” Lee and many, many more.
About the restorations: Each short has been newly scanned from original Hal Roach 35mm film elements. Remastered, uncut and beautifully restored, now you can see The Little Rascals like never before. With restorations so glorious, it will be like watching these iconic shorts for the first time!
Length: 1344 minutes
Misc: NTSC, Full Screen, Black & White, 1:37:1
Number of Discs: 6
Rating: NOT RATED
• Newly recorded introduction by Leonard Maltin - The Rascals at 100
• Presentation of the Only Surviving Foreign Language Shorts in Which Our Gang Performed:
>>Las Fantasmas (1930, When the Wind Blows performed in Spanish) - Note: Survives fully intact
>>Los Cazadores de Osos (1930, Bear Shooters performed in Spanish) - Note: Only reel 2 is presented here. Image survives for both reels, but only audio survives for reel 2
>>Temps d’Hiver (1930, A Tough Winter performed in French) - Note: Only reel 1 survives
• Three Newly Restored Our Gang Silent Shorts:
>>The Big Show (1923)
>>Dogs of War! (1923)
>>Mary, Queen of Tots (1925)
• Good Old Days - The Music of Our Gang Featurette
• Then and Now - A Special Tour of Our Gang Locations Featurette
• Our Gang Centennial at the Hollywood Museum - Highlights from the opening day gala kicking off the Museum’s exhibit celebrating 100 years of The Little Rascals. Appearances include Leonard Maltin, Richard W. Bann, Maria Roach (Hal’s daughter) and Sidney Kibrick (Woim), the last surviving main player of the Hal Roach era
• Our Gang Reunion on You Asked for It Television Show on February 22nd, 1951 featuring Allen “Farina” Hoskins, Johnny Downs, Mickey Daniels, Joe Cobb and Jackie Condon. Also appearing is on-set teacher Fern Carter, cameraman Art Lloyd and director Bob McGowan
• A Day in the Life of Spanky and Porky - Follow Spanky and Porky around in Boulder, Colorado the week of April 1st, 1985 as they take the stage, answer questions and sign autographs as guests at the annual “Trivia Bowl” eventV
• The Little Rascals Jukebox - Listen to your favorite Our Gang tunes
• Image Galleries
• Other Rarities:
>>Speed-O-Byke theater ad with Spanky
>>In-Theater Ad Announcing in-person appearance by Mary Ann Jackson featuring previously unseen outtake footage
>>Excerpt of mid-1930s screen test for unknown film with Mary Ann Jackson directed by Norman Z. McLeod (no sound)
>>In-Theater Ad Announcing in-person appearance by Norman “Chubby” Chaney
>>Spanky McFarland interviewed by Tommy Bond, Jr. at a plaque commemoration ceremony just outside the old location of Hal Roach Studios in Culver City, Ca.
>>Art Lloyd home movies featuring Spanky and Joe Cobb (no sound)
>>Commercial for MGM Our Gang
>>Audition reel (filmed in the mid-1950s) from short-term, but memorable Our Gang player Jackie Lynn Taylor